Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Only in America

Today our great nation welcomed a new president to the White House. I've never taken too much of an interest in politics, but watching the Inauguration ceremony, I found myself surprisingly choked up with pride. Though proud of what? To be an American? Of course. To finally put into the highest office in our nation a man who, mere decades ago, was not allowed to cast a vote? Absolutely. But that wasn't quite it. What was it about the Inauguration that caused the tears of joy to spring to my eyes, even though I didn't vote for the man being sworn into office?

And then my friend Melia wrote this on my Facebook page: "I didn't really expect to watch any coverage today, but find myself verclempt at the change over. To see our country change hands of leadership in peace is great!" That's exactly it. Our nation has a peaceful change of power every 4 - 8 years. How amazing that, in a world overridden by men trying to bully their way to power, murdering and torturing along the way, trying to forcefully control their nations greedily, we as Americans watch as the Former President and the newly sworn in President embrace!

Without guns or violence we give another man a turn at running things. And THAT is what makes me proud to be an American today. No, I didn't vote for him. But he's MY President now.

Congratulations, Mr. President! And God bless you!!

1 comment: